My tours

- Valencia, a melting pot of cultures/Valencia, crisol de culturas. Ruta histórica. - Valencia Republicana. Ruta bélica. - Immerse in the fascinating world of Fallas/ Valencia en Fallas. Ruta fallera. - Valencia: tapas and city history/ sus tapas y su historia. Ruta gastronómica

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Some changes in my life....Myanmar part 2





Leaving party at Myaungmya EC. Flamenco group
For the last couple of weeks I’ve been saying goodbye to many lovely people I’ve met in Myanmar. I left Myaungmya Education College and EfECT project behind, it’s over now, two years have gone by. Unbelievable!!! I came to Yangon with all my belongings in a light truck and moved into a MIS (Myanmar International School) school apartment where I’m working now. Some other new school teachers live in the same block as well, my new neighbours and colleagues. 

Last farewell before leaving
I have mixed feelings as it always happen when you make big changes in your life. On the one hand, there is the excitement of new experiences and challenges, new friends, new city to explore… On the other hand, leaving your comfort zone demands more effort and energy and have a positive attitude at all times. And that can be exhausting!! Funny about the “comfort zone” as my new life implies a much higher salary, classrooms with aircon, access to western food restaurants, supermarkets, shopping centres, bigger accommodation, locals who speak English and an expat community, wow!!!! It sounds I’m moving to a more “comfort zone” than the one before. 

On my way to school by bus
I haven’t had an easy start in my new position as languages teacher as things are a bit disorganized in both departments, ESL and Spanish. In ESL, the position of coordinator has not been filled yet, so we have been doing assessment tests to decide which students need support and what kind. Groups and timetable still to be completed. Spanish is being offered for the first time as part of the curriculum as second language and the novelty has resulted in a bigger demand than we can take, that is a group per grade. To solve this problem, we are now offering Korean language as well as Chinese and Myanmar. So far I’ve taught two lessons to each grade but not to my real students. A messy situation!!! 
I also teach French as non-curricular elective on Fridays, another challenge since I have not taught French for a loooong time. I’ll be co-teaching with Mya, an ESL Myanmar colleague and that’ll give us some air with planning, something that seems to be real big at MIS with the new management.

Yangon train
With Glenn, a new colleague
Yangon is a proper city, much bigger than Myaungmya and Taunggyi, the towns I’ve lived, and it has its downsides, of course, namely, chaotic traffic and long time spent commuting to work. From the apartment to the school it takes an average of 45 minutes by bus, a bit less by taxi, which is what I take on the way back. Motorbikes are banned in the city, oh, how I miss my e-bike!!! I’ll probably be staying here till I manage to save up the 6-month rent as deposit state agents ask for when you rent a flat here. I want to be able to walk to school and stay away from mad traffic. One good thing about living at the apartments is that it’s not far from downtown, so at weekends you can easily go shopping, to museums, the cinema swimming. After being on a mission to find a decent/convenient/affordable swimming pool, I finally decided to try the National Swimming Pool, not the cleanest though.
  
Being spoilt with massive hamburger and mojitos
Something to look forward to is the one-week holiday there will be in 6 weeks’ time. I’m thinking of travelling to Thailand and taking the holidays I had planned for July but had to cancel because of starting and finishing dates in my old and new jobs overlapped. I feel I really need a break!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of Fallas festival

TOUR OFFERED ONLY FROM 13TH TO 19TH MARCH BOOK MY TOURS HERE: Valencia: Adéntrate en el fascinante mundo de las Fallas | GetYourGuide Adéntr...